The Internet is becoming an increasingly important part of our lives.
The Mozilla project is a global community of people who believe that openness, innovation, and opportunity are key to the continued health of the Internet. Mozilla have worked to ensure that the Internet is developed in a way that benefits everyone. They are best known for creating the Mozilla Firefox web browser.
The Mozilla project uses a community-based approach to create world-class open source software and to develop new types of collaborative activities. Mozilla creates communities of people involved in making the Internet experience better for everyone.
The goals of the Manifesto are to:
- articulate a vision for the Internet that Mozilla participants want the Mozilla Foundation to pursue;
- speak to people whether or not they have a technical background;
- make Mozilla contributors proud of what we’re doing and motivate us to continue; and
- provide a framework for other people to advance this vision of the Internet.
Mozilla’s Principles Are:
- The Internet is an integral part of modern life—a key component in education, communication, collaboration, business, entertainment and society as a whole.
- The Internet is a global public resource that must remain open and accessible.
- The Internet must enrich the lives of individual human beings.
- Individuals’ security and privacy on the Internet are fundamental and must not be treated as optional.
- Individuals must have the ability to shape the Internet and their own experiences on the Internet.
- The effectiveness of the Internet as a public resource depends upon interoperability (protocols, data formats, content), innovation and decentralized participation worldwide.
- Free and open source software promotes the development of the Internet as a public resource.
- Transparent community-based processes promote participation, accountability and trust.
- Commercial involvement in the development of the Internet brings many benefits; a balance between commercial profit and public benefit is critical.
- Magnifying the public benefit aspects of the Internet is an important goal, worthy of time, attention and commitment.
Useability and Add-Ons
Mozilla Firefox is a very user friendly browser. It takes minutes to download and has some wonderful add-on which believe really brings Firefox into its own . We have found some of the best of these to be:
1. Adblock Plus
2. Adblock Plus Pop-up addon
3. Download video to MP4
4. Webpage Screenshot (Fireshot)
8. Image Zoom
9. Right to Click
10. Search by Image On Google
11. Tab Mix Plus
12. Print Pages to PDF
13. Resurrect Pages
An exhaustive list of the add-ons can be found on the Mozilla web link provided below.
We now use Mozilla Firefox as our web browser and through the use of add-ons such as ‘Ghostery’ no longer having annoying adverts to contend with. We give Firefox the thumbs up.
Our Verdict: Good Egg!
Useful Web link